Saturday, May 23, 2015
Learn basic suture techniques from one of the top plastic surgery programs in the country. Demonstration of all the technical aspects you need to cosmetically close all of your wounds. Narrated by Dr. Michael Zenn.
For more information visit: http://plastic.surgery.duke.edu
Monday, September 16, 2013
- maintain normal body weight for adults (e.g. body mass index 20–25 kg/m2)
- reduce dietary sodium intake to <100 mmol/ day (<6 g of sodium chloride or <2.4 g of sodium per day)
- engage in regular aerobic physical activity such as brisk walking (≥30 min per day, most days of the week)
- limit alcohol consumption to no more than 3 units/day in men and no more than 2 units/day in women
- consume a diet rich in fruit and vegetables (e.g. at least five portions per day);
An integral symptom of acute otitis media is ear pain; other possible symptoms include fever, and irritability (in infants). Since an acute otitis media is usually precipitated by an upper respiratory tract infection, there often are accompanying symptoms like cough and nasal discharge.
Friday, March 15, 2013
Digital nerve blocks involve infiltrating local anesthesia around the two nerves that supply a digit. Historically this has been done with a local anesthetic without epinephrine however the use of a solution with epinephrine appears to be safe.
Regional nerve blockade, or more commonly nerve block, is a general term used to refer to the injection of local anesthetic onto or near nerves for temporary control of pain. It can also be used as a diagnostic tool to identify specific nerves as pain generators. Permanent nerve block can be produced by destruction of nerve tissue.
at 8:10 PM
Friday, February 22, 2013
Neovascular or exudative AMD, the "wet" form of advanced AMD, causes vision loss due to abnormal blood vessel growth (choroidal neovascularization) in the choriocapillaris, through Bruch's membrane, ultimately leading to blood and protein leakage below the macula. Bleeding, leaking, and scarring from these blood vessels eventually cause irreversible damage to the photoreceptors and rapid vision loss if left untreated.Only about 10% of patients suffering from macular degeneration have the wet type.Macular degeneration is not painful, which may allow it to go unnoticed for some time.